Burg Klopp was built between 1240 and 1249 by Siegfried III of Eppstein, the Archbishop of Mainz, to exact tolls on river trade on the Rhine, along with Burg Ehrenfels and the Mausturm. The castle was built on an old Roman fortification site built by Nero Claudius Drusus around 10 BC on the Burgberg (Castle Hill) above Bingen on the Middle Rhine.

Burg Klopp

In 1240, Kloppberg was mentioned as the residence of a churchman, and in 1282, Burg Clopp was first mentioned.

During the Tariff War of 1301, troops of King Albrecht I of Habsburg besieged and conquered Bingen, and the castle surrendered after fire made further defending the castle pointless. This broke the power of the Rhenish electors for some years and forced them to remove the customs duties levied along the River Rhine. After Albrecht was assassinated in 1308, the customs duties began again.

In 1438, the archbishop sold the town of Bingen and the castle to the Mainz Cathedral Chapter. The castle was destroyed during the Thirty Year's War and was rebuilt in 1653.

Burg Klopp was home to the knights of the archbishop of Mainz until its destruction in 1689 by French soldiers of Louis XIV in the War of the Palatine Succession. In 1713, the Mainz garrison demolished the castle's remains to prevent it from being used as a base by the enemy in the final phase of the War of the Spanish Succession.

Starting around 1853, the gatehouse, bridge across the moat, and castle fortifications were restored in the Neo-Gothic style of 15th century Rhine castles. The Keep or bergfried was rebuilt as a crenelated tower standing 125 feet high. The base of the Keep, moat, and portions of the southern curtain wall are all that's left of the medieval fortifications. The town of Bingen bought the castle in 1897, and the castle served as the town hall and a folk museum.

Burg Klopp suffered damage in 1944 during World War II, and repairs were carried out between 1952 and 1953.

Castle Highlights

Burg Klopp sits majestically above Bingen, overlooking the River Rhine. A ring wall surrounds the castle, and the Keep is separate from the other buildings that share a courtyard. The castle grounds contain a restaurant. Other than the restaurant, the castle is closed to visitors. The coat of arms of the Cathedral Chapter of Mainz can be seen above the gatehouse entrance.

There are small car parks a few streets from the castle, but it's easier to park near the river in Bingen and walk up to the castle. The best views of the castle are from the river. Bingen is a great starting spot for the cruises that go up and down the river. Start in Bingen and head towards Koblenz. When you get as far up the river as the Marksburg, take a different boat heading back towards Bingen or get off at one of the left bank stops like Boppard and return to Bingen by train. A round-trip boat ride can take all day, while a one-way boat ride and train ride takes about 3 to 4 hours.

The Burg Ehrenfels is just across the river from Burg Klopp, and the Mausturm is on an island between the two castles. The closest castle to Burg Klopp that visitors can tour is Burg Rheinstein, just up the B9 from Bingen.