Ghost Army of Penrith Castle
Penrith Castle resides in Northwest England near the border with Scotland. It was constructed in 1397, probably on the site of an old Roman fort, to help protect the town of Penrith which had been sacked by the Scots in 1345.
The castle was granted to Richard, Duke of Gloucester and future King Richard III, who lived at the castle for periods between 1471 and 1485. It was not used as a residence again, but was used as the headquarters for the Parliamentarian general John Lambert, during the English Civil War in 1648.
Penrith Castle was dismantled in the mid-17th century, but a phantom army still visits from time to time.
In 1735, a farmer was startled by the procession of an army marching across the fell near the castle on Midsummer’s Eve. As the castle laid empty for nearly 100 years and there was no army nearby, people he told about what he saw thought he was irrational. But then a few years later on Midsummer’s Eve, several other people also witnessed the phantom army, marching in rows of five across near the castle.
Over and over for the next few years people reported seeing the army in the same area, each time the army growing in size. Eventually the army would consist of foot soldiers, cavalry, and carriages, taking a significant amount of time to cross the fell and disappear over the hillside. It was confirmed that the army was from another dimension when no footprints, hoof prints or carriage wheel marks could be found where the army had passed.